Windows 10 build reinstallation and updates

My last post I told about the Dell Alienware letdown, now I'm gonna tell about the things I learned from that.

I had to use the recovery DVD soon after it finished I noticed that I was not allowed to install anything. .NET frameworks, NVidia Video driver, etc. Everything finished with an error message that said something like this "This package is not compatible with this Windows version" or "Installer cannot continue windows version error".

I started to go to system properties and compare with the drivers I just downloaded from internet just to realize I wasn't doing anything wrong. After several hours I found
https://appuals.com/this-nvidia-graphics-driver-is-not-compatiable-with-this-version-of-windows/

and it basically says that Windows 10 build number determines if something can be installed on the system.

If you are having issues like me you need to use these commands:
A. dxdiag


B. winver

Look for build number in my case due I used the recovery DVD it let my system with the W10 but a very old build, approximately July 2015. Today The latest version of Windows 10 is the November 2019 Update, version “1909”.

In other windows version the build number was not a problem, installer just told the software prerequisites but in W10 the build number makes the difference.

To completely end with build number issues the logic step is to update W10 as soon as possible but if you go to Windows setting -> update and security

you probably will just get a couple of updates but nothing that changes your build, so you need to go
to  https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10


Download the file  Windows10UpgradeXXXX.exe by click on the blue Update now button.

Close all running applications and let the exe file guide you, it will take a lot as outdated your W10 is. You won't loose your files but a backup is always a safe practice.

The whole upgrade may need several reboots.

When the upgrade is done you can install anything you had to the latest version without problems.

When the upgrade is done you will see an entry on programs and features
  
also a working folder will be created

You can uninstall/delete them without problems.



Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Enable MP3 codec on Windows 10 (Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec / l3codecp.acm)

La de Clave entidad federativa DIF no corresponde con las opciones del catalogo del SAT CFDI 4.0 Nomina

Audio streaming from Ubuntu / darkice / pulseaudio to remote icecast server